Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tuesdays with Noirrie

BTW, that name does make sense. You know the book. My main WoW character is Noirre (that's her on my profile - ain't she pretty?). So ... Tuesdays with Noirrie.


Dianaology

[Brought to you by a long-ago SS blog challenge that I didn’t do at the time.]

ARCHAEOLOGY: the study of material remains

My house is already well on its way to becoming an archaeologist’s gleeful find. In recent years, I’ve tried to be very good and clear out the various no-longer-used debris of a normal life. And yet, there are things that escape my cleansing frenzy from time to time. There a number of elderly items that have been saved on purpose … the Little Bo Peep Storybook doll my mom had as a girl and later made into a Christmas tree angel, the “squaw” dress my great aunt made and wore when she was 15, the various family heirlooms my mother-in-law has been passing on to us for years. And then there are those ancients which need not stay, but have escaped my notice. A pair of size 4 jeans tucked away in the top of Levi’s closet – what are these doing here? My home is a haven for both intentional and accidental artifacts.

BIBLIOLOGY: the study of publication

Ah, books. You will find books in literally every room of my house. Even the bathrooms. I’ve tried more in recent years not to collect quite so many of them. But some books must be kept. I own every single book Stephen King has ever written. Most in hard cover. There are a few other authors I collect – John Grisham, J.K. Rowling, Terry Goodkind - but none so prolific as SK. If I were only allowed to have one book, ever, for the rest of my life, I would have to keep SK’s The Stand. If you haven’t read it, do.

CARDIOLOGY: the study of the heart

Dictionary.com defines heart, amongst other things, as:
* The center of the total personality, esp. with reference to intuition, feeling, or emotion.
* The center of emotion, especially as contrasted to the head as the center of the intellect.

Much as I hate to admit it, I’m an emotional creature far more often than an intellectual one. Oh, in many circumstance, my head plans and organizes. In all too many others, my heart leads a blind charge.

PHYSIOLOGY: the study of physical function

Average height, average weight, average brown hair, average, average, average. Seriously, I could probably rob a bank and no one would remember me. Should the coroner ever need identifying marks, I do have a few scars. Never seen them? Probably never will then.

AXIOLOGY: the study of the nature of values and value judgments

Values. Those are trickier when raising kids than one might think. I’m a mostly honest and law-abiding citizen. Gasp! Mostly?? Oh, come on, are you really telling me you don’t speed on occasion?? Are you telling me you’ve never picked a grape in the produce aisle at the grocery store and quickly popped it in your mouth? Never fibbed to someone when they needed reinforcement, not honesty? But, when your kids are watching you, these little dishonesties are examples of correct behavior. Or incorrect behavior. But, when they see you doing it, they assume it’s right. Or, at least until they, say, take driver’s ed and then constantly monitor your speed. I never have to worry about speeding again with my own, private on-board speed limit consultant. But having kids does make one examine one’s own behavior a little closer. And such scrutiny is not always comfortable.

TECHNOLOGY: usage and knowledge of tools

I used to be much more technologically adept than I am now. Oh, I’ve never been a whiz at any of that stuff, but I could at least program the VCR and perform the functions of the average tech consumer. And then Lane came along. He’s just so darned quick with that stuff that I’ve allowed myself to become lazy and just hand those things over to him. I don’t know what I’m going to do when he leaves for college. Have to find my own two technology feet again I suppose.

GENEALOGY: the study of relationships within families

Family … both the blessing and bane of my existence. I come from a biggish family – five kids. Most of us get together on a regular basis. The ins and outs and ups and downs of our relationships are ever-changing, endlessly annoying, continually interesting, and forever precious. Still, I won’t deny that there’s days I wish I were an only child. And an orphaned one at that.

No comments: